I specialize in romantic comedies.
FAST LOVE is available on Amazon! Currently, I’m editing FAST HOLIDAY, a Christmas novel and a spinoff in the Fast Love series.
During the RWA 2021/2022 Pen 2 Paper course, I finished a draft of Fast Love, a mainstream lesbian romantic comedy. I was selected as a mentee for the 2022 RWA Romance Author Mentorship Program (RAMP) where I tweaked Fast Love with a published author/mentor.
When I’m not writing, I’m hiking, visiting record stores, or hitting the ski slopes.
- WriteHive, Sponsored Writer Award, Finalist, 2023
- RWA Romance Author Mentorship Program (RAMP), Mentee, 2022
- 20th Annual International Family Film Festival Screenwriting Competition, Finalist, 2015
- 15th Annual Bare Bones International Film & Music Festival, Top 45 Placement, 2014
- 27th WriteMovies Writing Contest, Semi-Finalist, 2010
- 6th Annual FirstGlance Screenwriting Competition, Semi-Finalist, 2010
- Placed Top 10% in Academy Nicholl Fellowship In Screenwriting, 2009
Memberships & Associations
- Writers’ League of Texas, 2018-2019, 2021-2022
- RWA, Member, 2021-2023
- RWA Pen to Paper: Guide to Writing Romance program, Scholarship Recipient, 2021-2022
- Contemporary Romance Writers, Member, 2022 – present
- Chicago-North Romance Writers, 2023-present
- “Taking Humor Seriously-Writing the Romantic Comedy”, Missouri Romance Writers of America (MORWA), Speaker, March 2023
A few fun facts
Referred to as a “nut”-performed stand-up in and around LA
A free spirit—I’ve lived in 6 different states (states of mind not included)
Cowboy boots are classy—they make my feet fancy
I was a ski instructor at Keystone Ski Resort—don’t ask if there were survivors
Q&A With Kerry
Who are you?
Over the years I’ve had various jobs from popcorn slinging to newspaper reporter to ski instructor and beyond. I’m at my happiest when I’m writing. Also, Kerry Lockhart and KA Morgan are one and the same. A large portion of my screenplays were written under KA Morgan, so I decided that that pen name deserved a shout out.
Why write a lesbian romanic comedy?
The better question is why not? Romcoms are fantastic! I think we could all use a little more laughter and fun in our lives.
I wrote FAST LOVE because when I was younger there was limited queer representation in books, television, and film. And what little representation was available for LGBTQIA+ often ended in unhappiness. Granted, the world has gradually changed, which is wonderful, but we still need representation and I wanted to contribute to that growth and change.
What makes you a romcom expert?
When I was younger I was a fan of classic and the physical comedy. I have a deep appreciation for physical comedy and witty banter. I studied stand-up comedy in Los Angeles where I wrote and performed in and around the surrounding areas. Also, I taught improv, sketch and stand-up comedy at Zach Theatre in Austin, TX. I think these experiences helped shape my comedy chops.
The sound that I cannot live without is laughter even if it’s at my own expense.
As for the romance side of things, I blame my mom for getting me hooked on soapy daytime and primetime shows. I’m a massive sucker for grand gestures in fiction and real life.
Where do you find inspiration for writing romcoms?
The romance inspiration comes from watching many films, tv shows, and reading books where the bury your gays trope disappointed me so often that I decided to use this unfortunate trope as inspiration to never kill off my LGBTQIA+ characters, but give them a happy ever after or a happy for now ending that they deserve, because we all deserve love.
As for comedic inspiration, my dog, Watson, is kind of hilarious. I’m pretty certain if he were a human he’d be a yoga instructor. Downward dog is his favorite pose.